Compendium of Education Sector Laws in Nigeria
The Legal Unit of the Ministry is an extension of the Chambers of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice who is the Chief Law Officer of the Federation. A The Unit is presently headed by Legal Adviser assisted by nine (9) lawyers who are posted from the Federal Ministry of Justice.
To be a dynamic and vibrant Legal Unit, manned by efficient and dedicated lawyers, guaranteeing quality legal services to achieve the set goals in the Education Sector.
Commitment to the delivery of quality legal services and ensuring that the Ministry follows the due process of law in the discharge of its functions in order to achieve a robust Education Sector.
The Legal Unit of the Ministry is an extension of the Chambers of the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice who is the Chief Law Officer of the Federation. The Unit is presently headed by the Director ( Legal) assisted by Nine (9) Lawyers who are all posted from the Federal Ministry of Justice.
1. Rendering Legal advice/opinion on any matter with legal connotation referred to the Unit from the Ministry and its Parastatals;
2. Preparation of Bills for amendment of laws or for enactment of new laws;
3. Attending proceedings in the High Courts, National Industrial Court and Court of Appeal Nationwide and Multi-door Court, and Arbitration.
4. Preparation and vetting of legal instruments (i.e Deeds of Guarantee, Powers of Attorney, Education Law Instruments, Searches, Investigations and Perfection of Title Deeds and liaison with regulatory authorities on legal issues concerning the Ministry;
5. Participation in negotiations, preparing and vetting of Contract Agreement/Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and other legal documents.
6. Representing the Ministry at Local and International meetings, seminars and workshops with legal connotation;
7. Liaising with the Federal Ministry of Justice on behalf of the Ministry and its Parastatals on legal issues;
8. Liaising with the National Assembly on pending Bills affecting the Education Sector;
9. Proposing Legislative Amendments to extant Acts and other legal instruments relating to the Ministry’s functions and its Parastatals.
10. Proposing new Legislative Bills for new Agencies of the Federal Ministry of Education.